Thursday, July 30, 2009

"C" is for Crayons and Card Games

July 30, 2009

Today was "C" Day...gosh, I can't believe how fast we've blown through the alphabet backwards!

As I've mentioned, the kids have been attending VBS during the morning hours this week so I've intentionally not scheduled a ton of activities in the afternoons. Plus, with it being so incredibly hot we've been content to just be at home and hang out in our pool.

We had some neighbor friends with young kids come over for a play date. Evan decided for "C" Day he wanted to melt some crayons using a magnifying glass like we did for "C" Day last year. Hey, as long as he's melting crayons and not experimenting with burning holes in paper like we did when we were kids, I'm ok with it!

Also for "C" Day we learned a new card game from some friends. The card game is called "99" and it's a great game to play with elementary-aged kids to use math skills of simple addition up to 99 and simple subtraction in increments of tens. I tried googling the rules for "99" and there appears to be several variations of the game. Here's a link that does a pretty good job of explaining how to play the game; How to Play the Card Game "99". It isn't identical to how we played but you get the idea :-)

1 comment:

Karie said...

Sue, already to "c", I can hardly believe it; it sure does go fast. I looks like you all have had a great summer though. Here is the recipe! They are so yumm-o! I sure hope that you like them.


Yummy Gooey Caramel Chip Bars

½ cup butter (no substitutes!)
32 caramels
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 package yellow cake mix
½ cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups mini chocolate chips
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 heath bar, chopped

In large saucepan, combine butter, caramels, and milk; cook and stir over med-low heat until smooth. Cool.

In a bowl, combine cake mix, oil and eggs; mix well. Stir in chips and Heath (dough will be stiff). Press ¾ of the dough mixture into greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Place on wire rack and cool for 10 minutes.

Pour caramel mixture over crust. Drop remaining dough by spoonfuls onto caramel layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, run a knife around edges of pan. Cool 40 minutes longer; cover and refrigerate at LEAST 1 hour. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator. Freezes well too!

Enjoy!