Sunday, October 12, 2008

Easy Bake Oven

October 12, 2008

Yesterday, Erica and I went to a garage sale and we found an Easy Bake Oven for $1.



It was still in the box and appeared to have never been used. Erica was thrilled when I said I would buy it for her, we even talked about ideas of what she could cook in her new oven.

Once we got it home and emptied everything out of the box, we found all the little pans and special tools needed to bake things in the oven. There were unopened packets of cake mix which I asked Erica to throw away, who knows how old they were! The only thing missing was the instructions. Thank goodness for the internet because we were able to find and print the official instructions in no time! Fred found a 100 watt bulb that was needed for our "heating source" and we were good to go!



So I was preparing to make a cake today and imagine her delight when I told her she could bake a cake in her oven! She was giddy as she got her oven set up and she greased her little pans to bake her own cakes. She would excitedly count down the minutes during the 15 minute baking time.

Watching Erica brought back vivid memories of my childhood when I had a Suzy Homemaker Oven. I could totally relate to the excitment she was feeling!



I loved that oven and we cooked so many things in that little oven. Back in those days, it had a "safety locking" mechanism which caused the door to stay locked until it cooled enough to safely open the door. We would use a popscicle stick to put in the door so it wouldn't lock shut on us.

One of my favorite things to cook in my Suzy Homemaker Oven was bologna! As it would heat up, the sides would curl and make a bowl with a big pool of grease in the middle (oh isn't that a delicous thought?) and when it was done, we'd cut it into little triangular pieces as if it were pizza.

Oh those were the days! I hope Erica's new Easy Bake Oven makes as many memories for her as my Suzy Homemaker oven had in my childhood!

No comments: