Monday, August 25, 2008

X-Y-Z ... Zero, Zip, Zilch

August 25, 2008

I guess you could say I've been on an unplanned "blog-cation" and haven't posted anything for a couple of weeks. Anyone notice the past couple of weeks were also the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China?


I'll admit it, I've been an Olympic Games junkie for the past couple of weeks and every chance I've had in the evenings I've been watching all the exciting events unfold. I know there have been a ton of critics for all the tape-delayed events by NBC and even though I knew the final outcome of some events, I was still glued to the tv! I've always been a sports enthusiast and in my opinion there's nothing better than the Olympics. I was super excited when both of the kids took a keen interest in the events too :-) Ok, enough said.

As for finishing up our "ABC's of Summer" we sort of fell off the wagon when it came to letters X-Y-Z. We've been doing fun stuff and keeping very busy though!

On what would have been "X Day" we invited our friends from our small group, Krista & David and their adorable 3 year old, Connor over for dinner since our small group plans for the evening got cancelled. We had a very relaxed dinner and a nice time visiting, plus the kids had a blast in the pool with Connor.





It's been so enjoyable watching the kids try to mimic some of the things they've seen on the Olympics. They have no concept of all the years of training those athletes have had and achieving the ultimate goal of representing their country in the Olympics.

One day we went to a public swim session at our favorite indoor pool at the Federal Way Community Center. Evan wanted to show me how he can flip in the water and push off the wall like Michael Phelps....he'd never even heard of Michael Phelps prior to the Summer Olympics! Oh, and by the way, Evan's push off the wall looked nothing like Michael Phelps....yet.



On another occasion, the kids and I were headed to meet some friends for Open Gym at Metropolitan Gymnastics. As we were travelling to the gym, Evan asked if we could get a vault some day. I asked him what type of a vault was he thinking of? He said, a gymnastics vault like Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson use. I asked where we'd put it? He thought we could put it in our backyard. I just love how my kids are inspired by the role models they've had the pleasure to watch during the Olympics! That's what it's all about!

No comments: