Sunday, September 21, 2008

Cub Scout Mom & Me Camp

September 21, 2008

This weekend Evan and I attended the annual Cub Scout Mom & Me Camp at Camp Sheppard. The camp is located near Crystal Mountain on the way toward Mount Rainier, we were fortunate to carpool with some friends.

We were ready to go at 7:15am which would allow enough time for the 1 1/2 hour ride and arrive at camp for the 9am check-in. There were ten other boys in our pack coming to camp, some were first-timers like us and there were several seasoned veterans in our group.





The weather forecast wasn't very promising so we made sure to pack rubber boots, ponchos and several changes of clothes in anticipation of getting wet. Shortly after we arrived it started raining and it pretty much rained non-stop the whole day Saturday. With the exception of a few of the events, most everything we did was outdoors so as it turned out, we didn't get wet...we were soaked!





Both Evan and I really enjoyed the archery. Once I figured the correct way to hold my bow and the correct way to attach the arrow (duh!), my aim wasn't so good but it was still fun to give it a try.



During the cooking segment, the boys hollowed out an orange (I love the expression on Evan's face in this picture) and put chocolate cake batter inside, wrapped them in foil and cooked them on the fire. We thought it tasted s0-s0 and unfortunately it was a bit burned in some parts but it was something different to try.



We thought the obstacle course they had for the boys and moms was fun. Evan and I both had turns trying a teamwork exercise involving ropes with 2x6's and trying to get a group of people to move in unison while standing on the boards. Classic boy scout stuff but a good laugh in trying to coordinate 4 people to move at the same time.



We tried not to let the rain dampen our spirits and I was so proud of Evan that he wanted to participate in everything despite the fact that a number of people in our group chose to stay in the cabin during some events.

Fortunately, our cabin was heated and we had a dry place to sleep...yeah for that! I didn't sleep much during the night and was thankful it was only one night and had my own bed to look forward to the following night!

Most importantly, it was something Evan and I did together and we made memories to last a lifetime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What great photos!

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to come by and say hi and use that logo. Anytime.

I appreciate you coming out and saying hi! Come back and enter my Halloween give-a-way!