
Evan has been wanting a Nintendo DS Lite for months! (It's a hand-held electronic game system for those who aren't familiar). He received money during Christmas and his birthday and has been slowly saving since then in hopes of buying a Nintendo DS.
After months of saving, he finally had enough money to buy a used one. I started looking on Craigslist for a good deal and wasn't really seeing anything all that great. I decided to post something on FaceBook that I was looking for a used DS for my son. A friend who I'd met years ago at MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) responded on FaceBook saying she knew her son's friend was looking to sell his for $75.
A few days later she and I had a rendezvous in a church parking lot for me to give her the money and she gave me the bag with the DS plus a case and 10 games, most of which were Star Wars games (total bonus!) I laughed as I commented to her that we needed to be careful and if anyone was watching we looked a little suspicious exchanging money for a bag of stuff. We both got a good laugh over that one! Neither of us exactly have the look of being a "dealer" of any variety :-)
The DS was in excellent shape and all the extras were awesome! In addition to the games he got, Evan had the option of 6 more games to choose from for only $5 each. Evan got to try them out for a week and decide which, if any, he wanted to buy in addition to the other 10 games he'd already received. He was super excited!
Evan understands that there's a limit to the amount of time he spends on his DS, or watching tv, or playing on the computer. They all count as "screen time" and he's been making good choices about how he spends his time. He also understands that the DS is a privilege and it can easily be taken away as consequences for his behavior. Let's just say Evan's been on his best behavior for days :-)
It's been a long wait but we are so proud of him for slowly saving money until he finally had enough to buy something he really wanted. Best of all, it has been a valuable life-lesson learned!
1 comment:
Wow! Score!
Post a Comment